Chocolate toxicity

Leo is a very naughty kitten who was brought into Uni Vets Camden after he was found eating a small amount of dark chocolate. Chocolate contains caffeine and theobromine, which are both toxic to cats and dogs. In general, a higher cocoa content means higher concentration of these toxins.

Clinical signs can include vomiting, diarrhoea, or seizures. If you suspect that your pet has ingested chocolate, call your vet immediately. If you know the kind of chocolate, how much and how long ago it was eaten, we can determine if emergency treatment is necessary.

Unfortunately, it is very difficult to induce vomiting in cats, and attempts to induce vomiting in Leo were unsuccessful. Luckily for Leo, he had only ingested a very small amount and has made a full recovery at home.

Written by Amy Selvaraj - Final Year Veterinary Student, The University of Sydney.

Comments are closed.