Who is planning to trick or treat this Halloween?

Halloween is a fun tradition that is growing in Australia, and while we love any excuse for chocolate, if ingested, chocolate can be toxic to your dog. Chocolate contains theobromine which dogs cannot adequately metabolise. All types of chocolate are considered toxic; with some types, cooking and dark chocolate, being more life-threatening than others. Although chocolate toxicity is often dependent on the amount of chocolate ingested in relation to the size of the dog, it is important to know that any amount of chocolate can cause a problem. Signs of chocolate toxicity can include: excessive drinking, vomiting, diarrhoea, agitation, tremors, seizures, and if not treated death. These signs are usually seen within 6-12 hours of ingestion, and there is no antidote for chocolate toxicity. Treatment involves inducing vomiting and providing supportive care, including intravenous fluids and hospitalisation. To ensure that everyone has a safe and happy Halloween, keep chocolate in a safe spot that is not easily accessible for your dog. If your dog does get into the Halloween chocolate, please seek veterinary attention immediately!

Comments are closed.